Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It's not easy being a scream

Weird is such a relative term. During my everyday day to day, I'm fairly normal. Business casual, nice smile, and a tendency to develop a slight southern accent when trying to charm a customer (which isn't too difficult, really. I mean, I'm just a total doll).

But I do have a few little quirks. For example...If the room is too quiet, I'll turn to someone, nudge them roughly and say, "Hey...Hey! Guess what?" then randomly burst into song. The songs I choose? Oh, they vary. Often I go with "Song 2" by Blur, or "You Don't Have To Say You Love Me" by Dusty Springfield.
I also throw bits of paper at people from time to time. Sometimes skittles...m&ms. Whatever is handy. I try to do this by stealth.
I joke a lot, make situationally inappropriate comments to break the ice, etc...
People come to expect this from me. But some days, I'm just not funny. It's hard to be clever all the damned time, you know?
And then the barrage of questions begins. "What's wrong, SK?" "Are you ok, SK", "Did something happen today, SK"??? Well yes, idiot, something happened. The sun rose and the day began. I just don't want to stand on the counter and dance the Macarena today, is that ok?? IS THAT OK??? (Not that I stand on the counter and dance the Macarena...often.)
Maybe today I just want to sit on the couch and watch the game. Maybe today I just want to eat popcorn straight from the bag and let it fall willy nilly to the ground. Maybe today I just want a goddamned beer and to be left alone.

It's a good thing today isn't one of those kind of days. Gosh, wouldn't that just bring everyone down?