Tuesday, November 13, 2007

32 flavors and then some

I'm sitting here picking through a giant bag of gourmet jelly beans. The speckled ones are always the best flavors: buttered popcorn, tiramisu, java, toasted marshmallow, margarita...But do you know what my all-time favorite jellybean flavor is? Licorice. I am very sad b/c I have picked out all the black jellybeans and there are none left. Buttered popcorn is not filling the void.

Have you ever had the urge to post your phone number? Just to see who would call you? This is a huge temptation for me. Not because I'm slightly unbalanced, but because I'm just so curious. I almost feel like conducting a social experiment...Maybe go and buy one of those pre-paid phone things from Wal-Mart...they're pretty much disposable if you run out of minutes, and then it's not my *actual* cel phone number...just my experimental one. Does that make it any safer, though? I'm not sure.
I had an online stalker once. I was 16 and not very internet savvy. I had put up a fake personal ad on Yahoo. It was the chorus to the Pina Colada Song by Rupert Holmes. Yeah, I thought I was damn clever. This guy answered and said it was funny and la ti da...we started emailing. He was 50 something, so I felt like, Oh, he's safe. I tried not to reveal any information, but I guess I didn't do a very good job b/c he sent flowers to my house. He somehow got my address and sent. me. flowers. My mother freaked out and sent him a nasty email and called the police and....you get the picture.
I remember him mailing back and telling me my mother couldn't ruin our love. Love? EW! No way, there was no 'love' ever even remotely implied from my end. Nut job. So that caused a few issues, yeah.

My little sister got herself into a similar situation. She is 13. She had 'met' this 27 year old guy online and she gave him her address and he started sending her things in the mail and then she gave him her mom's cell phone number and he started calling her....I bitched her out good and hard. Sure, UPS is 13 years older than me, but I'm not a kid either. My dad and step mom no longer leave her home alone, it just isn't safe. He could come and take her and .... we don't want to think about that.

And yet people date online. How does EHarmony screen for child molesting creeps? But when you meet someone at the library or in the frozen food aisle....how do you screen them to see if they're a child molesting creep?? Yes, I beat you to the argument.

Sure I want my boys to have a wonderful life and marry for love...but maybe an arranged marriage could lead to love...right?