Wednesday, June 20, 2007

It got worse, if you can even imagine that.

The ex was supposed to return L at 4pm on Saturday. He called and said he wanted to take him overnight again, and I said, "Ok, do you want X too?". Well he was mad that X didn't want to go with him on Friday so he said, "No, I don't have room for him." Well, then I remembered that I needed to have L on Sunday b/c we had plans with my family. I couldn't reach him on the phone, so I decided to go over to his apartment and pick L up. Well, he refuses to give me my son, is screaming and yelling at me the whole time. All the while L is crying for me and reaching out for me to take him. So asshole extraordinaire gives my baby to his 17 year old girlfriend and she takes him out of the room. I never stepped foot over the threshold, and was (somehow) remaining relatively calm. But he shoved me out the door and tried to slam my hands in the door(I had bruises on Sunday). I was hysterically crying by the time I got back to the car, called everyone I knew who might be able to help me. I finally calmed down and agreed to let him keep L again with the understanding that he'd be returned to me on Sunday at 12:30, at exFIL's house. 12:30 Sunday came and went, then I got a phone call saying he still wasn't giving him back. At this point panic turned to blind rage. We called the police, who weren't able to do anything b/c we don't have the custody arrangement finished yet. Everyone was so pissed off (very much an understatement, as I'm sure you can imagine). exMIL and her husband drove me to ex's apartment, where MIL went to the door with her husband standing behind her in case anything happened. L ran to MIL when the door opened and she scooped him up and handed him to her husband who then brought him to the car. I have never been so relieved in my life. MIL tried to talk to him, but he just screamed at her and slammed the door in her face. Monday she took me to the courthouse and I filed an ex parte order against him, and it was approved by the end of the day. I was also awarded full custody until the divorce settlement/custody agreement is set in stone. This means that he can't come near me or contact me in any way, and if he tries to take the kids his ass is going to jail.
When this whole separation/divorce thing started, I thought it would be so simple. There is no reason for there to be conflict, I don't understand what has happened to my ex-husband. He has lost his freaking mind.
All's well that ends well, I guess. But in the meantime....