Friday, August 24, 2007

Did you know that we are in the middle of a helium shortage?

It's true. You know, I'd heard someone mention it several months ago, but I thought they were kidding. I mean, who thinks about having a helium shortage for crying out loud??
Our store is going to start doing party planning, so today I called about getting a helium tank for balloons. Turns out that is next to impossible. It could take a few weeks or more before we could get a tank, and then it's a crapshoot as to how long it would take to get a full tank to replace ours when it's empty. So then I became intrigued and looked it up online (I really think part of me was still a non-believer. A helium shortage? Really? There are balloons everywhere, how am I supposed to believe there's a shortage?). But it is TRUE. Helium could even be GONE FROM THE PLANET by the end of the century. Isn't that amazing? Just one of those little things you take for granted I guess. I assumed foolishly that we would always be able to enjoy brightly colored balloons bobbing upward attached to the hand of a toddler, to gaze entranced at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade balloons hovering over the New York City-scape. Will helium filled balloons really go the way of the milk man and affordable postage stamps? And am I a lunatic for feeling a little sad about it?