Thursday, August 30, 2007

Of Mice and (Wo)men

Picture this if you will:
You are peacefully sitting on a box (hey, we just moved digs, ok?) and leaning against the wall talking to your boss. Suddenly her eyes become gigantic, and she starts flailing her arms about in a panic. So you jump up like the fastest bitch on earth cause you think....for obvious reasons....that there is a huge spider crawling down the wall toward your hair.

No.

A mouse had peeked it's head around the corner.

Don't get me wrong. I understand that plenty of people are afraid of mice. I get that. But for me it doesn't make any sense. They are much, MUCH less ugly than a spider. They only have four legs as opposed to eight. Only two eyes as opposed to...well, however many eyes a spider has, but I know it's more than two, and they don't really even look dangerous, unless you're prying its mouth open to stare at its teeth or something. Spiders, on the other hand, look like a big fat picture of death. **Someone else had an anti-spider blog post recently...I'm in your corner.**

So today I spent a good 15 or 20 minutes putting peanut butter on mouse traps and placing them in what I assumed would be mouse-prone places.

There is a point to this post...All of that reminded me of this:

I remember a few years ago I read an article saying that mice shouldn't eat cheese, b/c it is bad for their health. Now, if you are putting cheese on a mousetrap, are you really concerned for the mouse's well-being? Do you care very much whether his cholesterol is high as you snap his little body in half? Probably not. It's kind of like saying that being squashed by a shoe is bad for a spider's health. Um, yeah, that's pretty much the point. We want it to be bad for their health. WE ARE TRYING TO KILL THEM, not help them lose weight. (Although I guess we are helping them lose weight also....I mean, if you think about it.)
Telling us that cheese is bad for a mouse when we are trying to send it off to rodent heaven anyway is pretty much as pointless as jumping into a chair when one dashes into a room.

They do climb, after all.