Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Someone suggest some good fiction, please

I am in need of something new to read. I've read all the Alice Hoffman my library has, and even though I've read one Elizabeth Berg novel, I'm fighting getting another. Although at this point it seems the best bet. Some friends recommend Jodi Picoult, but I am afraid her novels are just going to be sappy with a sugar coated ending. Most recently I have read Wicked by Gregory Maguire, but am hesitant to pick up Son of a Witch, b/c I've heard mixed reviews. Thinking about trying one of his others.

Four books I'm currently considering: The Dive from Clausen's Pier by Ann Packer, Empire Falls by Richard Russo, The Jane Austen Book Club by Karen Joy Fowler, and Digging to America by Anne Tyler. Any thoughts on these would be appreciated. I like a story you can really be taken into, with beautiful prose...but nothing too easy and drecky, like Nicholas Sparks.