Thursday, August 10, 2006

Starting my research on Scientology...will do this in parts

So this morning I've been trying to read up on this ridiculous subject, and so far I think It would be much easier to down a cuppa poisoned koolaid than understand this mumbo jumbo.

The official Scientology website actually offers very little information. I found the most indepth and interesting things at Wikipedia's Scientology page.

So far, the best thing I've found is this quote from L.Ron Hubbard in a 1980 Reader's Digest article (source Wikipedia),
"If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."

Here's my basic opinion on more mainstream religions vs. Scientology -- Even though monotheistic religions (Christianity, Islam, Judaism and Buddhism) are different, they share many characteristics, many of the same stories and beliefs that simply change with geography (thank you World Civ). They have valid and recognized doctrine that go back thousands of years, well into BC. Some of the same stories, fables, whatever you want to call them even date back to polytheism. So I'd say that has weight.Whether or not you are a believer in one God or a "messenger" (Jesus, Mohammed)or not I'd think it would be easy for even the most devout (lol) atheist to see the meaning in that,just from a historical viewpoint. I also think it would be easy for ANYONE to see that a "religion" concocted by a self-help and scifi writer would be a joke. I will try my hardest to give this a pro/con spin, but forgive me in advance if I just laugh like a maniac that anyone buys into L.Ron's little endeavor.
The links I posted above will probably be my two main sources and I'll just post them this once, although I will branch out and post other sources as I use them. The official site will be referred to as (1), and wikipedia as (2). This way I can site sources w/o contstantly typing in addresses and such.
This whole shebang will probably get started on Monday, as I have my son's birthday party to work on this weekend.