Monday, August 21, 2006

Don't get your hopes up...

Not feeling too witty today.

So I settled on a book to read, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. I'm hooked. It's about a 13 year old girl who was basically born for one purpose - to be a constant donor for her Leukemic
sister: blood, bone marrow, organs, etc...She gets tired of having no choice in the matter and sues her parents for medical emancipation. She isn't just an ordinary sibling, she was a "designer baby", one of several embryos tested for a perfect match. It's intriguing and sad, and well written. I was planning to hate this lady's writing, but this book is good. I hate the character of the mother, hate her. Anyway, it kind of fits with the post I did about stem cell research the other day. This book is about the part I don't agree with. In my opinion, having a baby to help a sibling by giving cord blood is one thing, having one to be a constant resource to help the other child...with a complete disregard for this child's health(mental and physical) and well-being is wrong. I would even consider it a form of child abuse. Can you imagine the mental strain at knowing you are the only person who can help your sibling, and having zero choice in the matter? No control over your own health, your own destiny, with a parent who is willing to risk your life for the other child?

We took the boys to the park today. The city completely remodeled the whole thing. Leveled it and put in all new equipment. It was about time,as the old equipment was older than I was and in poor shape. The new stuff is NICE and there's so much for the kids to do. X was having a blast, running around and climbing. I have to say, my kids have excellent motor skills. But I still had about 5 heart attacks thinking he was going to fall, but he didn't even come close to falling,lol. Nervous mother syndrome, and I've got it bad! L was sleepy and sat in the stroller for the most part, but I did take him down a couple of slides on my lap. I was surprised, those slides were fast! He was so cute, laughing hysterically when we got to the bottom.

I don't know that I've ever clarified the initials I use. X is my three year old and L is my one year old. DH is message board speak, it means "dear husband", but if you're mad I guess it can mean something else, lol. To be honest, when I started on message boards for the first time, it was the August 2003 Expecting Club, and I thought it meant Designated Hitter, like in baseball, as a way to describe the husband/boyfriend/whatever that had gotten the women pregnant. LOL. Now my expecting club is the August 2003 Playgroup, and we've been together for almost 4 years...it will be 4 years in late Nov/early Dec. I also participate in a July 2005 Playgroup, but I'm not as involved in that one. Wow, what a ramble, when all I wanted to do was explain what the initials I use for my family mean. Well, now you know...more than you wanted to probably.
Here's hoping I feel more entertaining tomorrow!!