Monday, September 11, 2006

Living for today

I posted my piece about 9/11 below, and left a comment on Jim's blog about what I was doing that day, etc...
So moving on...

This is a conversation my DH and I had this morning. We were watching Go,Diego,Go with X (it's a show on Nick, Jr. He is Dora the Explorer's cousin. A kid thing) and it was the episode where Diego is helping the baby penguin find his penguin school, basically, find the group of the same kind of penguin he is. The penguin magically gets all of his swimming feathers at once, very unrealistic. So...


ME: Isn't there a movie, called the Magic Flute or something about a magic penguin who has a magical something or other, or is that The Pebble and the Penguin?

DH: Says nothing, just looks at me with his eyebrows raised...then, "It's the Pebble and the Penguin, and it's a magic pebble."

ME: Oh yeah...oh, the Magic Flute is an opera. *shaking head like a loser*

DH: Still says nothing, just stares at me like I'm an idiot.

ME: Shut up!

That was my stupid moment of the day. Getting kids movies and works of music switched around in my head. when you have children you completely lose your mind. I cannot remember anything. I take a very specific list with me to the grocery every week and still forget half the things on it. For instance, this week I forgot lettuce, tomato, shredded cheddar and garlic bread (sure I could make my own but the Pepperidge Farm frozen kind is SO GOOD.). And that's after going back once already. X or DH will ask me for something, and I'll go into the room wherever the thing they asked for is located, do something completely unrelated and totally forget what they asked me for. I don't mean to forget, my head just opens out and spills on the floor I guess.

We rented a couple of movies this weekend. Take the Lead and Akeelah and the Bee.
Take the Lead was ok. It was pretty predictable, very typical plot. Misfit kids, caring and concerned teacher, kids triumph over adversity, etc...Only this was about ballroom dancing not football. The dance scenes were fun, and I actually enjoyed Antonio Banderas. It's his best role since Shrek 2, LOL. Rob Brown is in it, he's the kid from Finding Forrester, one of my very favorite movies.
Akeelah and the Bee, I've been wanting to see this for a long time. It's good. It's very well acted, but kind of similar plot as above only about a spelling bee. The little girl who played Akeelah was fantastic, I hope she continues her career.
Yeah, yeah, bad reviews, but I'm not in the mood to go in depth.

I have a tendency to be a "fixer". It seems like I am always pulled toward people who have problems, or who have had a rough go at life. I was recently reminded of this. It doesn't matter if I know the person well, or just become introduced to them in passing. I only get my animals from a shelter, I only have friends with issues. One of my ex-boyfriends (when I was a senior in hs)was in foster care because his mom died of cancer, and his dad was in jail for stealing her pain meds and selling them. His little sister died while we were together...she and a friend ran in front of a truck on purpose, were hit and died. His brother was having sex with their foster mother, he was 11 at the time. J had a substance abuse problem and would get mean when he was drunk. I thought I could "fix" him, take care of him, show him what his life could be like...
My DH, his dad cheated on his mom over 7 times before she finally left him. DH had to deal with everyone in school knowing that his dad was sleeping with a 17 year old girl that worked for him. I don't know what this suggests exactly. Perhaps I have an overwhelming urge to nurture...perhaps I am emotionally masochistic.
Someday I will meet a friend who has had the most normal life imaginable. They won't be able to tell me abusive relationships or crazy parents...but for now, I'll love the family and friends that I do have. When you're walking down the street, in a store, in the park, look around. All of these people look so normal, but they are all hiding something.