Friday, August 25, 2006

Misty, water colored memmmmmmmmorieeeesssss

I have a mind like a steel trap. I remember the kind of crap that no one else does. When I meet someone new, I actually remember their name and one or two relevant facts about that person. It makes me wonder....There are a lot of people I have met in my life that I think about from time to time, and I wonder if they even remember me? For instance:
In college I met a guy we'll call J.O. We were both always early to our astronomy class, and would sit silently together, sometimes for upwards of an hour. I was always writing in my journal, and he would watch me. I didn't know his name then, to myself I referred to him as "early boy". I wrote about him a lot. Things like, "Early boy is watching me again" or "Early boy brought in lunch and it is making it smell funny in here". Finally one day he asked me what I was writing all the time. Then we exchanged names and started talking to each other regularly. The next semester we had the same Sociology class and sat together. We never went out or anything, just did school stuff together. I think about him whenever I see those car commercials, for Mazda I think, the ones where they sing, "Zoom, zoom, zoom". He always had it stuck in his head during class, but would sing it wrong. He sang it, "Vroom, vroom, vroom".

In third grade a new boy moved into my class. We'll call him J.H. I had such a crush on him, he is the only person I've ever used the word 'dreamy' to describe, and to date he is the only person I think it fits. I had to start wearing a bra in third grade, which was humiliating to me. But for some reason, when it came to J.H., who I imagined to be sophisticated far beyond his 8 years, I wanted to use it to my advantage. I remember purposely wearing a shirt that was way too big one day, so he might see my bra strap when the neck of the shirt shifted. He was absent that day, and he never came back. He wasn't even in our school for 2 weeks.

In the same astronomy class where I met J.O., I also met a guy named M. He was on the football team, and we helped each other with notes and things. He had a girlfriend, and she sat on the other side of him. I never learned her name, I just referred to her as M's girlfriend. She was always kind of snippy to me, but one day I saw her in the library and she was crying. I just walked over to her, didn't say anything, but she ran at me like I was her long lost friend and hugged me. I just stood there with her crying on me for like, 10 minutes. Finally she looked up and gathered herself. I asked her if she was ok and she said," Yeah,thanks," and walked away. We never talked about it. Weird.

I don't know why I was thinking about those things today. Hmmm...
To quote Sam in Sixteen Candles, "I remember LOTS of things."